Sunday 14 March 2010

New Release - I Love You Phillip Morris

This is not a film I would go to see by choice but fortunately See film first (check out the link in useful links) came up roses again with free tickets to a preview screening. You can tell that I had low expectations of I love you Phillip Morris, and this was mainly due to the fact that Jim Carrey’s rubber face and daft noises have never been enough to get me excited about a film. Some of his previous roles in captivating dramas such as The Truman Show and Eternal Sunshine have been a key to the overall success of the movie but his appearances in low brow comedies tend to leave me disappointed.

Thankfully, I Love You Phillip Morris falls in the middle of Carrey’s previous performances, a healthy dose of comedy which is aided by an engaging storyline as the captivating conman struggles to escape the law and eventually meets the love of his life in prison. The relationship between Ewan Mcregor and Jim Carrey is completely convincing, despite the absurdities of the situation, which is actually based on a true story.

It is hard to describe the film without drawing on comparisons to another well known film in which Leonardo Dicaprio runs from the law; this is essentially Catch me if you can with a gay man. Although the film fails to live up to the success of its predecessor, it is an entertaining ride and a welcome escape from the teen comedies which tend to dominate the box office.

I have no doubt that audiences will flock to this film expecting another zany Carrey comedy but the humour does tend to take a back seat in some of the more poignant moments in the film. Fortunately the life story of Phillip Morris is a compelling one, although the dramatic turn near the end of the movie is not as effective as it could have been.

If you’re a fan of Jim Carrey, you are sure to enjoy this, I was pleasantly surprised by the film but this could be due to the low expectations I had. Definitely worth a look if you get a chance but I doubt I would go out of my way to watch it again.

7/10



If you liked this film you will also enjoy these:

Catch me If You Can
Milk
Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert
Man On The Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment